Thursday 19 July 2012

Tramlines - Pre-party

Every every (and you have to pinch yourself when you remember this is only the fourth) Tramlines seems to get bigger than the last.  This year is no exception, with a full three-day programme on the Main Stage, adding Friday to the bill.  Tramlines get into full swing tomorrow, but for today, there are a few pre-parties dotted around.  I chose to head to The Bowery, where Cool Beans took over for the first of five Tramlines spectaculars.

Up first, Romance Waddington's Soulfunkful. I first met Romance when My cuz Trikboi (now of Chronicles of Graham) advertised for a singer to record with. She turned up to my house, and was, frankly, amazing.  She did not disappoint, and neither did her band, seamlessly transferring between classic tracks I knew to tracks I've never heard but felt certain I knew anyway.  Romance's vocals, moving effortlessly between soaring power and delicate passion were backed impeccably by a funky bassline and guiatar work which seemed to range from metal to soul effortlessly.   
Check them out on Friday, 5pm at the Viper Rooms, 35 Carver Street and at 12pm on the World Music Stage at 5pm on Saturday in the Peace Gardens. (note spelling mistake in Tramlines programme).

Next up, another act I'd seen before in the shape of Burleskimo. I first saw these last year at The Harley, another Sheffield must-visit gig spot, on an alt/hip-hop fest with The Rub Kid and The Legend Of The 7 Black Tentacles. These were another reason I wandered into The Bowery this Thursday evening.  As with the first time, they did not fail to impress.  The heat and raw grit of Mike's rhymes spat across the bar, tripping the rapidly swelling crowd and Dnaë's vocals would make a church choir weep.  Check them on "World's Gone Crazy" (opens in Spotify) from their self-titled Burleskimo EP - one of my top tracks of last year, with a superb funk bass.  A track you dance to at the first listen, but listen to after the first dance.  A brilliantly poetic and powerful track
Catch them on Saturday at 6pm at The Vine Inn, and on Sunday from 4pm in Weston Park

A new group to me next, Mental Block.  A great band, with "Backstabbing Cheater" quite a highlight for me for all their bitter irony - Backstabbin' cheater / I'll never leave ya - if you don't relate to that, you're either too young, or too lucky.  Either way, get out of my sight!  Mental Block have a lovely chilled out folk-reggae vibe with occasional bursts of energy and power.  Political, emotional and very powerful, Mental Block are a good band to look into later in the festival season.
See Mental Block at BOMfest at 4pm on the Main Stage, re-arranged to 22nd September at Worsborough Mill.

Finally, The Soul Circle Gang took to the stage, by the which the Bowery was absolutely thronging.  A soul-funk swing group, this was a great chill out party to end off the night (OK, there were DJs).  I'm afraid I had to leave partway through their set to get my last tram home as I was at work the next day, but I will certainly be checking them out again over the Tramlines weekend.
Soul Circle Gang are playing the World Music Stage at 5pm on Saturday in the Peace Gardens

No comments:

Post a Comment